Car Review : Timor S515i DOHC 1997
Bought this brand new car at 1997. Actually the real brand is KIA Sephia, a Korean manufactured vehicle. In Indonesia the brand changed to TIMOR with a lot a controversial matter with it. This car was cheap compared to its rivals likes Honda City, Suzuki Baleno or Toyota Soluna. Why cheap? because this manufacture had a special tax deduction from the government. At the beginning, people little bit reluctance to bought, korean car reputation was not really reliable at that time. I don't really care, KIA made a lot improvement in the last 5 years. The brief specification of Timor S515i as follow:
engine 1500 cc, DOHC (double overhead camshaft)
power 110 hp
front disc brake and rear drum brake.
The reason to buy this car:
- Cheap, Rp. 10M cheaper than suzuki baleno or honda city
- Good model and design in its class
- Better interior quality and functions
- The engine power is enough for daily use
- Fuel injection system, low maintenance
I did some upgrades for this car: change the EOM head unit with "sony", change the EOM speakers, installed additional power amplifier. The original 14" rim wheel changed to five spokes 16" wheel fit with 205/50 R16 tires.
Used this car for 6 years with regular service maintenance, I can resume this car as:
- Very reliable engine, never had a problem with engine
- Cheap spare parts, easy to find, can used other brand parts likes mazda or ford
- Enough power, used to run at 140-150km/h at toll road.
- Good handling, bit over steer when cornering.
- Poor brake system, should be very careful when using this car in high speed.
- Poor quality plug wire, torn easily.
- After 4 years, I feel a mild vibration in lower rpm after release the clutch. Its cause by unbalance flywheel surface. Its suggested to change the flywheel immediately, not expensive.
- Sticky clutch if the car not use for long time.
- Fuel consumption around 1 ltr/9 km for city driving and 1 ltr : 12 km for extra urban driving
Generally I'm satisfied with this car performance, excellent value for money. Sold the car at 2003 with 57.000 km on odometer.